Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More training 8.6.10

We have been so busy here.  Our schedules are packed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  We started our language classes though and the teachers speak no English and we just practice by charades.  We learned how to write our names today in the Cyrillic alphabet which was pretty cool.  We are leaving on Thursday to meet our host families and we are told that we probably won't have internet.  So I'm sorry if I don't get back to you as often.  (Mom/Brandy - no news is good news!)  And we definitely will not have showers!  We will have to bucket bath and use a bath house every once in a while (it costs money!).  We also have to start conserving our toilet paper because they won't have it.  I got my sleeping bag and water purifier the other day as well. 

The people here have been really friendly.  All of the little kids say "hello" to us when we are walking around town and they help us with the different vocabulary.   I finally learned how to ask "What is this?", even though I forget what they tell me 5 minutes later.  The picture of the goat head is a funny story.  We went into the market and I had my camera.  The ladies in there would not let me take a picture of them so I was just taking pictures of the meat.  They are mutton and the big hunk of meat in my photos is horse by the way.  When I started to leave, the one lady grabbed me and pointed to the goat's head for me to take a picture of it.  She picked it up by its horns and put it in front of her face and then she went towards the other lady as a joke.  It was pretty funny! 

I have eaten mutton - a lot!  It is so chewy but I tried it.  I do think I might become a vegetarian which might be hard for some of you to believe.  (I grabbed the vegetarian option for lunch today - it was rice with peppers in it.)  I'm not sure what is will be like with our host families.  I will have to try more things but I don't think I will eat all of the stuff when I am on my own.  I did have fried chicken for dinner tonight because I don't think I will be having it for a while. 

It has been cold here as well.  Very hot the first day, but since then it has been in the 50's maybe.  It has also rained.  They said it can snow sometimes during the summer (is it really a summer if it snows?).  I like the weather but other people aren't happy. 

I'll post again when I can but it might be a while.  Can someone e-mail me who wins Top Chef Masters?  The season finale is this Wednesday.  Thanks!  Hahahaha. 


I also am not supposed to post the towns I am going to be in for safety reasons.  My address is still the same.  My mail goes to the main post office in UB and they have a truck everyday make the deliveries.  I would love some toilet paper, tights, and peanut butter.  And some Mexican food...that would be good! 

Love you guys and talk to you soon!
Mindy

3 comments:

  1. hey chica! i see from your pictures you get to eat dippy eggs! i hope your adjustment goes smoothly. i will send you a care package as soon as i get a chance. can't wait to hear more about your journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne! You are too nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need some hair powder as well since you will have limited baths?

    ReplyDelete