Thursday, June 17, 2010

Training Site

I am located in a very small town outside of UB.  I have a small ger and my family owns 5 cows.  It is weird sleeping with cows mooing all the time but I am getting used to it.  I guess I'm kind of lucky because my family built me a new outhouse which I have finally figured out how to not pee on myself (get low...hahaha).  The food is ok but I have told them that I don't like a lot of meat so they have given me chicken a couple of times.  Ger living is ok but ger beetles drop in occasionally and I only get to bathe about every 3 days.  Yes, we all smell when we are in a group! 

We have class everyday and I don't feel like I am understanding it very well.  But again, I have only been here a total of 2 weeks.  I would love for you guys to write me a letter.  I had to walk 3.3 miles to find wifi and I'm borrowing someone's computer.  Then I will have your addresses to write back.

We saw a yak get killed the other day and then the family skinned it and cut it up.  The skinning was the worse part for me.  I could handle the guts (or gitz in Mongolia) but the skinning was disgusting!  We saw the dad in town the next day with all of the meat in the back of his van selling it.  We also got our second round of shots the other day...4 more.  We have another round in 28 days.  One weird thing is that I have not used a napkin since I got to my host family.  They don't exist here!  I just started wiping my hands on my legs since I figured they are dry anyways so what will a little grease hurt?  I guess you learn to adapt.  The one thing I will not do is pick up dung with my bare hands.  The people here do that and then cook food or do other things.  So if anyone could send me a pair or kitchen gloves.  I told the PC doctor that there was a line and I'm not picking up poop with my bare hands.  I wonder if I will still think that way in 2 years...hahahaha  I miss you guys a lot.  I feel like I have been here forever even though it has only been 2 weeks.

The family is nice.  They gave me a Mongolia name - It sounds like "althga".  I wish they would have given me one that I could pronounce better.  The girls are really helpful.  The come into my ger a lot and watch me put on make up or just stare at me.  We have had a lot of awkward conversations.  They speak to me like I understand them...which I guess is good because one day I will.  Right?  We play a lot of games - some russian game, cards, and I taught them duck, duck, goose.  They give me a block to sit on since I can't get up and down as fast as them. Hahahaha.  The only major problem has been these birds that are outside of my ger.  They start crowing EVERY morning at 4:30 until 5:00 and it wakes me up.  I start screaming, "Shut the ____ up!"  I wonder if my family hears me?  Oh well...they won't understand anyways.  
 
I guess it is just so different because I feel isolated - no computer, no internet!  It is very different but I am getting used to it.  Please send me a letter so I can have your address or send it to my mom so she can put them in a package/letter for me.  Her email is cibrmico@aol.com.(If you don't mind mom - also some stationary would be good and some envelopes).  Have I been asking for too much? You don't have to send it me all of this stuff but it would be good! Hahaha

Thanks!  Love you guys and miss you!  I'm trying to post pics so check the link from the previous blog!

M

4 comments:

  1. hey chica! shannon and i are getting a package together for you. mostly little snacks and nic nacks but it should go out monday. i will try to remember to steal a box of gloves from work for you.
    i am glad to hear that you are adapting. none of us have the balls to do it so be proud of yourself. i can't imagine a life that is not living paycheck to paycheck and worrying about bills!
    nothing really new in ktown. oh brittney boyfriends car was stolen yesterday at the gas station with her dog in it! i feel so bad for her. that is about the only exciting thing that has happends since you left. yep, we are still boring:)
    love you chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl nice to see that your still hangin in you better learn to pck up that dung,you will need it to heat up the ger. So how much weight have you lost since you don't eat to much meat, I see a six pack comeing in the near future.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mindaaaay!

    Btw....Brittani found her puppy living in a mansion! Still no car though :( I'm glad your enjoying Mongolia....and I'm glad I finally figured out how to comment! Miss you and Love you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A six pack sounds great right now Ryan! The beer here is warm!

    I'm so glad Brittani found her dog! I felt so bad for her!

    ReplyDelete